6th Annual Capital Markets Summit
Strengthening our Markets: Ensuring Capital for Main Street Businesses
Wednesday, March 28, 2012
On Wednesday, March 28, 2012, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Center for Capital Markets Competitiveness hosted its Sixth Annual Capital Markets Summit. At this full-day event in Washington, attendees received an in-depth look at a number of the most important issues facing our capital markets.
The event highlighted the need for well-functioning and liquid financial markets for the broader business community, economic growth, and job creation. Featuring prominent speakers in government, public policy, and business; the Summit focused on the changing regulatory environment and significant emerging trends. Topics included the continued state of the Dodd-Frank Act, the changing regulation of the derivatives market, how the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is proceeding, and the importance of an efficient and effective regulatory structure to promote highly liquid capital markets for the U.S. economy.
Drawing more than 250 high-level audience members from the corporate, legal, financial services, legislative, regulatory, and academic communities, the program is was widely covered by the press including national and syndicated news programs, print and online media.
Confirmed Speakers Included:
- The Honorable Scott Garrett (R-NJ), Chairman, U.S. House Financial Services Subcommittee on Capital Markets and Government Sponsored Enterprises – “Restoring American Competitiveness”
- Thomas J. Donohue, President and CEO, U.S. Chamber of Commerce – “Bringing Up the Grade—Improving Financial Regulation to Spur American Growth, Jobs, and Competitiveness”
- The Honorable Chris Coons (D-DE), “The Importance of Healthy Capital Markets to America’s Economy”
- The Honorable Gary Gensler, Chairman, Commodity Futures Trading Commission – “Transparent Markets – Key to a Growing Economy”
- Joe Echevarria, CEO, Deloitte LLP – “Making America Stronger”
- Bob Greifeld, CEO, NASDAQ OMX Group – “State of the U.S. Capital Markets”
- The Honorable Richard Cordray, Director, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau – “Outlook from the CFPB”
- Tom Wilson, Chairman, President and CEO, The Allstate Corporation – “Maintaining America’s Prosperity”
In advance of the Capital Markets Summit, CCMC released the Financial Regulatory Reform 2012 Report Card. The report card evaluates the progress being made by regulators and policymakers to achieve modern, well-regulated, fair, transparent, and vibrant capital markets. It looks both at the implementation of The Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2010 (The Dodd-Frank Act) as well as key regulatory reform issues not addressed by the new law.